Has anyone played Five Nights at Freddie's?

Discuss whatever you'd like with the Infinitap Games community here!
matt

Has anyone played Five Nights at Freddie's?

Post by matt »

It just came out on Steam. I think it was on desura before. Since I loved Chuck E. Cheese's as a child (and even the wannabe Major Magic), I can't imagine this would scare me, but the idea is kind of hilarious. I was just curious if anyone else has given it a try!
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games
JPrice

Re: Has anyone played Five Nights at Freddie's?

Post by JPrice »

It's weird with me honestly. I haven't played the game myself but here's how I feel about it.

On the one hand I can see why so many people find the game scary. I mean given that you're forced to remain stationary and given no control over your character, you do feel a sense of disempowerment. I mean your only defence is a a set of cameras and two doors so a lot of the horror comes from the wait for these animatronics to move. That in tandem with the limited power supply for everything makes it a tense experience of when to use the resources you have available to you. Plus the idea of using animatronics as enemies is a great idea as they can be pretty creepy. Just the way they move and sound when its really jittery and distorted, pretty creepy if you ask me :?

On the other hand however, there's one flaw that kind of kills the game as a lasting horror experience for me. It's just a one trick pony. I mean yeah once you play it the first few times, the jumpscares and tension are pretty well done. After that though what's left? The tension becomes standard as you've already learnt most of the games rules by then and you're aware how the animals move around the building so you become complacent. All that's left then is the jumpscares and whilst they are good at first, they to wear down overtime and you just kind of expect it once you reach a point. Like "Oh I've run out of power, welp guess it's time for a jumpscare." or "Hey I saw that one of the animatronics run down the corridor outside my room, guess it's jumpscare time". I feel like after watching a few videos on it, the horror is just lost at that point. Also just as a personal preference, I just don't find the gameplay mechanics to be particularly that great. Just doesn't look like something that I would enjoy using or be competent with hahaa

In the end though I think that if people are interested in the game, they should play the demo for it and see what they think. I feel like watching gameplay videos like I did kind of ruins the experience. Overall I don't think I'll play it myself as I'm not really interested in it at this point but I totally understand why its gotten so much hype at least. I wouldn't call it the best horror game in recent memory like some people have, that's reserved for Neverending Nightmares for me personally ;) hahaha
"Always look on the bright side of life"
Check me out on Steam if you like! - http://steamcommunity.com/id/JPrice321/
matt

Post by matt »

I wouldn't call it the best horror game in recent memory like some people have, that's reserved for Neverending Nightmares for me personally ;) hahaha
Glad to hear it! Perhaps the people saying that haven't played our game. :-)

The gameplay reminds me of Night Trap or some old FMV game, and I don't think anyone found those scary, so I am a bit surprised to hear people find it scary. Actually, it reminded me of Lifeline. Did anyone try that for PS2? It had a really interesting premise - you are an operator trapped in a room, and you have to TALK to guide a woman to safety. The voice recognition was pretty terrible, so I found it kind of unplayable, but it is an interesting idea.
-Matt Gilgenbach
RightClickSaveAs

Post by RightClickSaveAs »

I just picked this up and played a little of it, and I'm finding it really tense. The first night eases you in slowly and I thought it was pretty dull, but that changes immediately on night 2, which I haven't managed to get past yet.

The tension comes from having to juggle back and forth between the cameras and keep track of all of the animatronics. I may just not understand their behavior yet, but from what I've seen so far, they can be really unpredictable in how fast and how far they can move during their "turn" or whatever you want to call it, so I'm constantly on edge. The jump scares have all gotten me pretty good so far too, I'd imagine the fourth or fifth time I see the same one it would lose it's effectiveness, but right now I'm finding the game really unsettling. I'm babying out on it for the night, I'll give night 2 another shot later on when it's not dark outside :)
matt

Post by matt »

Interesting! Do you find the animatronic antagonists scary or intimating? They look kind of silly to me, which I feel like would interfere with the horror aspect of the game for me, but maybe I'll have to give it a try sometime. (Probably not until after we ship)
-Matt Gilgenbach
RightClickSaveAs

For me they're straddling a thin line between goofy looking and freaky. The way they seem to always be staring at you through the camera is definitely off putting. It's mostly the jump scares that are doing it for me so far, I'm a sucker for those. Although they can be cheap, when you build up such a weird and tense atmosphere like this, it feels more earned.

edit: also, the guy who calls on the telephone in the game and explains what's going on with the animatronics and gives you a crash course on what to look out for explains what will happen to you if one of them catches you, and it's kinda horrifying. It tells you enough to let your imagination fill in the details.
matt

Post by matt »

It sounds interesting! I'll have to give it a shot at some point.
-Matt Gilgenbach
ranger_lennier

Post by ranger_lennier »

Maybe it is like how some people are scared of clowns.
matt

Post by matt »

It could be although I've seen plenty of scary clowns, but I don't think the character models for this game are that frightening. Still, it sounds like it is more about jump scares, and you can do that with anything. If I am listening to music or in the middle of something when my wife gets home, she likes to try to startle me - and she often succeeds. Then she likes to laugh at me for getting startled. hahaha
-Matt Gilgenbach
RightClickSaveAs

Alright, I'm officially too much of a baby to play this game. It's not the animatronics themselves I find scary or anything, I don't have any specific phobia even though they make them look pretty disturbing in this game, the game is just way too tense for me. I still can't get past night 2. You feel so vulnerable and have to constantly be on edge, because you know something is going to jump out at you. Playing the game for yourself is a way different experience than watching a video of it for sure!