Steam Summer Sales: What have you bought?

Discuss whatever you'd like with the Infinitap Games community here!
JPrice

Steam Summer Sales: What have you bought?

Post by JPrice »

As I imagine the large majority of you are PC centric gamers here, I'm sure you're all well aware that it's that time of year again and that's the Steam Summer Sales!

Just wanted to make a thread as I was interested on what people have bought so far :)
So far I've picked up:
- Octodad: Dadliest Catch (£4.07): Played about an hour of it so far, really enjoying it! Some good ol' fashion family friendly fun (P.S. Nice Retro/Grade reference in the Supermarket there ;) hahaa)
- The Walking Dead: Season 2 (£9.49): Season 1 was excellent and I really enjoyed it so this was a no brainer really hahaa (Though I'm interested in asking to anyone who's played Season 2, how is it overall and how does it compare with Season 1? Like do they tie in well and are there any problems with Season 2 like a lack of memorable characters, contrived plot lines etc etc.)
- They Breathe (£0.49): Neat little game, though I already posted my impressions in the relevant thread so!

Good haul so far for me I think :D
What about you guys and gals?
"Always look on the bright side of life"
Check me out on Steam if you like! - http://steamcommunity.com/id/JPrice321/
ranger_lennier

Re: Steam Summer Sales: What have you bought?

Post by ranger_lennier »

Sins Of A Solar Empire: Rebellion for $7.99

Risk Of Rain for $2.50

GOG's been having sales as well. I got Octodad for $4.99.
RightClickSaveAs

Post by RightClickSaveAs »

So far I got:

They Breathe
Papers, Please
The Stanley Parable

I'm debating Skyrim, I don't much like Bethesda's games but this one is apparently one of the best things ever if you listen to anyone who's played it. I just don't know if I want to get into a huge time sink game again right now, I've got too many older games I need to play still.
JPrice wrote: - The Walking Dead: Season 2 (£9.49): Season 1 was excellent and I really enjoyed it so this was a no brainer really hahaa (Though I'm interested in asking to anyone who's played Season 2, how is it overall and how does it compare with Season 1? Like do they tie in well and are there any problems with Season 2 like a lack of memorable characters, contrived plot lines etc etc.)
I'm really liking it, I don't think it's quite as solid as Season 1 but the writing is still good. Season 1 had the big through line of Lee needing to take care of Clem and try to find her parents, and this one's a little more... aimless I guess? I still really like it though and recommend it, especially at sale price.

There are a few continuity things from Season 1 and a major character or two that show up, but lots of new faces and the major storyline doesn't really continue from Season 1 for very long before it's off to another group of people and a different set of problems.
gagaplex

Post by gagaplex »

I got Far Cry Complete (primarily for Far Cry 3 and Blood Dragon) and XCOM Enemy Unknown Complete. :-)
JPrice

Post by JPrice »

Thanks for alleviating my worries RightClickSaveAs!
Glad that I got it at any rate, look forward to playing soon :)
"Always look on the bright side of life"
Check me out on Steam if you like! - http://steamcommunity.com/id/JPrice321/
matt

Post by matt »

So far I only bought Outlast: Whistleblower, and I played through it yesterday, and now, it went on an even bigger discount! hahaha It's funny that I only "wasted" $2.25, but I am kicking myself for not waiting longer. hahahah Steam sales are weird, especially now with the voting and competitions. I guess it's good for game developers (who are featured at least), but I almost feel like there is a little too much pressure. Will people keep buying games once they realize they have a ton they'll never play? hahah Probably. I am in that situation, and I still buy new games. hahah
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games
RightClickSaveAs

I've slowed down buying new games a lot, I used to buy almost anything vaguely interesting that was $5 or less, but that's almost impossible with the sales they have now! I find myself focusing on indie games more, Papers Please and Stanley Parable are both really unique games I was waiting for a sale on.

How was the Whistleblower DLC? I'll probably get that while it's the cheapest it's going to be for a while.
matt

Post by matt »

It was worth playing. I felt like it wasn't as good on the main game, but I enjoyed it. It isn't super long, and there isn't a lot new, but if you wanted more Outlast, it's more Outlast. I'll record a developer diary about it with more info. I've run out of pre-recorded dev diaries, so I have to create a new batch on Monday. haha
-Matt Gilgenbach
RightClickSaveAs

Cool, I'll remember to buy that before whatever sale it's on now goes away. Or wait for it to go on sale AGAIN, hah.

I really don't understand the team competition thing they're doing this year, but hey, I'm sure it's making them a ton more money! It's so diabolical, turning the process of buying games into its own metagame. Valve is essentially printing money at this point.

Has anyone else checked out The Stanley Parable? It's pretty mind bending. At one point I tried to turn on noclip, which is what I did way back when the game was a Half-Life 2 mod, as a way to say "HAH, you think you can tell me what to do?" and this game actually has a condition built in for that. I was stunned and impressed.
matt

Post by matt »

Yeah, the Stanley Parable is super brilliant. It was funny because Davey gave me an early build, and it would crash when I tried to save, so I actually asked him if that was a bug or just part of the metagame? hahahaha
-Matt Gilgenbach