Do video games change the way you dream?

Discuss whatever you'd like with the Infinitap Games community here!
ranger_lennier

Do video games change the way you dream?

Post by ranger_lennier »

I thought this article was really interesting. It discusses research on how regular video game playing changes dreams. They found that gamers are more likely to have lucid dreams and less likely to perceive intense dream situations as frightening. They also found that many gamers could switch between a first and third person perspective in their dreams.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/21/53306 ... -on-dreams

I've never gotten good at lucid dreaming (though I suppose my occasional lucid dreaming is better than many people do). I've definitely had video game like dreams though, where I bravely confront dangerous situations. And I think I actually have had third person dreams as well, though I don't remember ever consciously choosing to change perspectives.
Grabthehoopka

Re: Do video games change the way you dream?

Post by Grabthehoopka »

Somebody looking into video games and dreams whose name is "Gackenbach"? Sounds sexy.

In all seriousness, this is a really interesting article. I've never had any luck lucid dreaming before, although I can say that I definitely have less nightmares than I did when I was a little. Actually, I was just thinking fairly recently that guns are always weak, inaccurate, and ineffectual in my dreams, and how that's probably thanks to video games.
matt

Re: Do video games change the way you dream?

Post by matt »

That is super interesting!

I don't have any luck with lucid dreaming though. :(
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games