Alien: Isolation - Escapist article and interview

Discuss whatever you'd like with the Infinitap Games community here!
gagaplex

Alien: Isolation - Escapist article and interview

Post by gagaplex »

Just thought I'd share this:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/article ... al-Preview

I love the Alien-franchise overall and especially the movies 1 and 2, so this is a very welcome chance for a good game. CHANCE! Because game devs haven't been kind to this material in recent history. That said, I really enjoyed AvP2 back in the day (although the crossover bits to Predator were the weakest in my view). Still, where AvP2 was kind of the Aliens (movie 2) equivalent of games, this might actually be the equivalent of Alien (movie 1). It certainly seems like that's what the devs are trying for at least! Survival horror, lack of weapons, running to survive and so on. So what are your thoughts? On this article, this game, AvP2 or... dear god, Colonial Marines even?!
RightClickSaveAs

Re: Alien: Isolation - Escapist article and interview

Post by RightClickSaveAs »

Oh wow, I really hope this turns out to be amazing. Sci-fi and horror are my two favorite genres, and Alien is the grandaddy of those two.

I haven't played an Alien game since AvP 2. None of them seemed worthy, so I really hope this one will change that.
matt

Post by matt »

I am also very excited although after the terribleness that is Aliens: Colonial Marines, I am a bit cautious. However, it is a new developer that seems to have a lot of respect for the source material, and it's based on the first (Alien forever!!!), so it seems like it has a lot of potential.

One thing that worries me a bit is how they can maintain the tension with one alien for a 10 hour game or whatever they are shooting for. You want to have some escalation over the course of a game, but that might be a challenge with 1 alien. There is only so much they can do. According to Joystiq, "Isolation features shooting sections involving other "threats" on the station," so who knows what those will be like.

Anyway, between that and The Evil Within, 2014 probably has the most AAA survival horror in a looooonnggg time. :-D
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games
Grabthehoopka

Post by Grabthehoopka »

I think they can maintain the tension with one alien. Amnesia: The Dark Descent pulled it off pretty well. Yeah, it was confirmed that there is more than one of the monsters, but we don't know how many. The most we ever see is that one scripted part with three mr. flappyjaws at once, and for all we know, there is only one of the big sword-for-an arm ones. There are few of them and the location is big, so the encounters are fewer and farther between, but did that not make them more effective?
matt

Post by matt »

The thing about Amnesia is that it is relatively short. I can't remember how long it took me to beat, but maybe 4 hours max?

I suspect they are shooting for a longer playtime with Alien: Isolation just because I imagine they don't want people complaining it's not long enough. (We got dinged a lot for that on Retro/Grade)

Anyway, it's just a worry. Hopefully the game will be awesome!
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games