What is your favorite horror game till the date.

Discuss whatever you'd like with the Infinitap Games community here!
Xar

What is your favorite horror game till the date.

Post by Xar »

Hi!

I thought that if we are horror game fans... why not talk about them? Yeah, sure, we are all here for this future great game,but in the meantime we can discuss why we liked other games and, who knows, maybe that could help matt makinig neverending nightmares.

This thread can contains spoilers, so try to warn the readers that haven't played the game you're talking about first.

My favorite game is Silent Hill 2. I think that it's better than the first part because it gets deeper in the characters mind, and moves your along the mental state of them. And also playing a lot with wicked erotism.
miumiaou

Re: What is your favorite horror game till the date.

Post by miumiaou »

It's difficult to say so I'll categorize them
My favourite RPGmaker horror game is surely Mad Father.
My favourite flash horror game is Ghostscape 2 (but I like Toybox too)
My favourite console horror games are Bioshock and Dead Space
Hellblazer1138

Post by Hellblazer1138 »

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem was my favorite horror game.
It had a very Lovecraftian storyline.
The sanity meter was pretty awesome, too.
matt

Post by matt »

Silent Hill 2 by far for me.

I only played Eternal Darkness recently, and I enjoyed it quite a bit but the gameplay feels a bit dated. The same could be said for Silent Hill 2, but I think the fact that the combat is terrible adds to the vulnerability of the character.

I quite enjoyed Bioshock and Dead Space, but in my mind they are too action-y to be a proper horror game. Still, they are great games. It's a shame they ruined the Dead Space franchise with 3. (My preference is Dead Space 2 over 1 although they are both great)

-Matt
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games
gagaplex

Post by gagaplex »

Gotta say System Shock 2 when I played it for the first time. I know it too well by now, but damn... while the graphics were atrocious even at the time of release, the sound design alone was beyond superb... you could cut the atmosphere with a crystal shard, that's how thick it was.
loudERIC

Post by loudERIC »

Favorite horror game is Silent Hill 2. Games that made me scream the most though have to be Doom 3 and Resident Evil 4.

The first time a friend showed me RE4 was that sewer part. All I heard was the big grate getting kicked over by something and then just really rapid splashing like something unnatural was running through the water at an impossible speed. I turn to my friend and go "What was tha-" then one of those bug things jumps on Leon and melts his face off! UGH! Best/Worst way to start a game! I loved it... then all the times dudes would be just out of view and hit me during a high tension combat section would render a yelp from me. RE4 had me on pins and needles most of the time. Great game! Did just enough to make you feel like a badass with the combat. But also enough to keep you scared for your like.

Doom 3 was a hilarious profound kind of terror for me. I feel like the game bugged and did this to me and only me. The game made me jump and got me good with it's silly monster closets which in retrospect seemed cheap, but hell. I was a dumb middle schooler when I played it. But I got to the part where you have to ride around on those little tram cars. I entered that section and saw a Pinky on a cat walk above me and it started running. I go "huh, that was cool/weird." I start exploring and investigating the area. All the while I'm on the phone with my bud making plans with him for the weekend. I'm sitting there digging through stuff in the environment looking for PDA's and ammo when I turn around to see the Pinky charging at me, full speed 5 feet away. I scream, drop the phone and spaz in terror trying to fight the controls only to watch my poor Doom Marine to die at the hands of the rabid Pinky. After calming down I was like "oh, crap! The phone!" I pick it up and my friend had hung up. I called him back and was like "Yeah, I heard you scream and then the line cut... I was sitting here debating weather I should call for help or something." That's one of my favorite gaming memories, haha
"If you're going through Hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill.
Harry Sunderland

Post by Harry Sunderland »

I too love me some Silent Hill 2.

The Wii remake of SH1 I enjoyed, except I hated the action sequences. The atmosphere of the other parts was very novel for me.

I also love Amnesia and the Penumbra series. Some of the best atmosphere I've played!
Xar

Post by Xar »

Yeah! Eternal Darkness is awesome too! And the story is great, how it is told.

Deadspace is a game that I still have to play, but I think is more like what an Alien game should had been. :)
Raziel_cz

Post by Raziel_cz »

My favourite horror game of all time is "Nocturne". Buggy as hell, but really atmospheric survival horror adventure in a style of "Alone in the Dark" by Terminal Reality (you know, the guys who for some reason forgot how to do proper games over the years and gave us "The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct"). It's storyline is like a pulp B-movie, shattered into four separate chapters. One inspired by Bram Stoker's "Dracula", another by H.P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos, etc. It has got some great characters with hardboiled antihero called The Stranger in a lead role, and it's really scary and also very, very hard. You can actually read an article about it, which I wrote for Bloody Disgusting, if you're intersted: http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/32459 ... -nocturne/

I tried to think of some other horror games I love and I'm not sure if I'm able to recall any of them. Of course, one of my favourite games at all is "Alan Wake" (plus "American Nightmare"; I count them as one), because of the funny story aware of all its clichés, but it's more of an action title than horror, or so propagated psychological thriller.
matt

Post by matt »

I tried playing System Shock 2 recently, and it is just so old school brutally hard that I am having trouble getting through it.
I even turned on a bunch of cheats, and that didn't help.

I was super excited for Doom 3 but got too frustrated with the monster closets and gave up. I suck at gaming!

I agree that the action sequences of Shattered Memories were dreadful. There wasn't much "scary" in the game, but I really liked the focus on exploration and discovery. I definitely enjoyed it more than Homecoming, which felt pretty meh. The only Silent Hill games I haven't played are Origins and Downpour. (Book of Memories doesn't count as far as I'm considered) I'm not quite sure if I want to play them or if they will delude my memories of the amazing originals. Well, I have an almost constant craving for Silent Hill, so I'll probably check them out. :-D

I love Terminal Reality for creating Bloodrayne 1/2. I'm not sure if I would recommend the games to others, but they seemed to be the perfect campy action games. Bloodrayne 2 holds up a lot better now.

I really love Alan Wake. Hmmm... Maybe I'll do a developer diary talking about all the horror games I love and how they are influencing Neverending Nightmares.
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games