The active Kickstarter projects discussion thread.

Discuss whatever you'd like with the Infinitap Games community here!
ranger_lennier

Re: The active Kickstarter projects discussion thread.

Post by ranger_lennier »

But there's also this:

"If we can’t secure a developers license we will change King Arthur and the name of the game, but that is all. Thankfully werewolves, demons, skeletons, reapers, ghosts, goblins, etc. are all public domain. The modifications will be so minor, the changes will be easy and will not change our release schedule."

So how much of a problem the lack of a guaranteed license is really depends on how invested you are in the specific Ghosts 'N Goblins franchise. Personally, I think a sequel would be cool, but wouldn't mind too much if I just got a game of the same style. It's like Mighty No. 9 vs. Mega Man.
LobsterSundew

Post by LobsterSundew »

There are multiple things that do not inspire confidence in Ghost N Goblins Demon World. Lack of specifics and big vague promises which often indicates a lack of solid direction. The rewards are also paced weirdly.

An isometric horror game set on a derelict spaceship is STASIS. It looks like a campaign with a lot of potential to go viral and there is a playable demo. Even more impressive is that there was only one main developer on the team working for 3 years in his spare time. I recommend watching the teaser trailer first.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob6sBsxf2YE

If you liked Contra then there is Bullet Bros. It has crazy 2D physics and co-op multiplayer.
matt

Post by matt »

I always feel a little uneasy when projects sort of gloss over important things (like that it might not be a true successor). It may very well turn out great though! Stasis and Bullet Bros look really cool!
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games
RightClickSaveAs

Post by RightClickSaveAs »

That's great news about Stasis, I've been following the development of that game for a year or so. There's also an alpha demo now available: http://www.stasisgame.com/getstasis/ It's looking really good.

edit: oops you mentioned the demo already, sorry. Well there's a direct link :)
ranger_lennier

Post by ranger_lennier »

I cracked up at the "completely non-sexual" Bro Links in Bullet Bros.

Has anyone else watched the Paradise Lost: First Contact trailer? I'm a little concerned by their lack of game development experience, but that trailer has some of the best pixel art I've seen. Plus, the gameplay looks compelling. I must not be the only person to think so, since they've raised over half of their goal in just a few days.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/118 ... st-contact
ranger_lennier

Post by ranger_lennier »

It didn't bother me, but I can see how someone would be pissed if they backed Demon World without reading through the entire description and then didn't get a licensed Ghosts 'N Goblins game. I don't think they're trying to be deceptive, but I've noticed a lot of Kickstarter projects don't do a good job of summarizing what they're doing right at the beginning.

It may well not matter, since they're not raising money at nearly the rate needed to meet their goal. I'm no good at predicting what Kickstarter projects will get funded. Some like Demon World just seem to sputter out almost right at the start. Some like Neverending Nightmares have a slow trickle of donations and finally get over the hump in the final stretch. And some like Paradise Lost seem to come out of nowhere and shoot toward the goal like a rocket.
matt

Post by matt »

Kickstarter is weird like that. I think if something is successful, that gets it a lot more backers, which is strange because one would think that people might back a project that needs support rather than one that already has a ton. (Also, on a side note, I played Hyper Light Drifter yesterday at GDC Next, and it was amazing) Maybe people want to be part of something like a movement? Some projects almost seem to be message oriented - like Double Fine's Adventure. People backed it because they wanted to say that adventure games are not dead and Tim Schafer shouldn't have to work for publishers... I don't know. There are no kickstarter experts... except LobsterSundew. He gave me some amazing advice, which really helped make the project more successful.

Anyway, the game that I am most excited about right now is by my friends at Owlchemy Labs:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/owl ... ose-wisely

It has a branching narrative similar to Neverending Nightmares, which is cool. Well, it has a branching narrative explanation graph similar to Neverending Nightmares. We are sort of blazing trails with that, so I'm really excited to see what they come up with. :-D

Plus, it has a lot of crazily low priced physical rewards. Check it out if you are interested. Plus, their pitch video is awesome.
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games
ranger_lennier

Post by ranger_lennier »

Dyscourse does look interesting. I like the idea of the in-game Kickstarter video, since you get an overview of the game style and other project information all at once. And props to whoever came up with the Owlchemy Labs name and logo. :)

Bloom: Memories has relaunched their Kickstarter recently. I first heard about the game when it was on IGN's Youtube show The Next Game Boss. They didn't get very far, probably because the game was still so early then, but I liked what I saw of it. Their Kickstarter early this year fell a bit short, but I guess they've kept plugging away at it in their spare time. I like the hand drawn art, and it's sounds like the gameplay will offer a lot of options--from violence, to stealth, to diplomacy.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/137 ... ?ref=users

There sure are a lot of games on Kickstarter. There are 392 at the moment, though they don't specifically break out how many are video games vs. card games, tabletop games, etc.
miumiaou

Post by miumiaou »

I backed this game recently: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/114 ... eros-story
I think it has a great potential
LobsterSundew

Post by LobsterSundew »

ranger_lennier wrote:Dyscourse does look interesting. I like the idea of the in-game Kickstarter video, since you get an overview of the game style and other project information all at once. And props to whoever came up with the Owlchemy Labs name and logo. :)

Bloom: Memories has relaunched their Kickstarter recently. I first heard about the game when it was on IGN's Youtube show The Next Game Boss. They didn't get very far, probably because the game was still so early then, but I liked what I saw of it. Their Kickstarter early this year fell a bit short, but I guess they've kept plugging away at it in their spare time. I like the hand drawn art, and it's sounds like the gameplay will offer a lot of options--from violence, to stealth, to diplomacy.
Dyscourse is an interesting project. I'm monitoring it to see how well its two $15 tiers perform. The pitch video and project graphics are also well done. It may have a rough Kickstarter trough at the rate it is losing momentum.

Bloom's multiple attempts at getting made have been memorable for me. I too watched that season of The Next Game Boss, but I was watching that show more because Spate was competing. Spate is one of the most special campaigns I ever backed as it was one of the first campaigns I tried to save.

Now for recently launched projects:

Sprite Lamp is not a video game project, but a tool for making normal maps for game sprites. It was also the first campaign I clicked that used Australian currency.

Super 16 is a simple 2D platforming shooter, but I took interest in it because $10 backers get to design an enemy for the game.

Interstellaria is a 2D pixel art sci-fi sandbox game that is a difficult to describe mash of things that has a lot of potential.