The active Kickstarter projects discussion thread.

Discuss whatever you'd like with the Infinitap Games community here!
matt

Re: The active Kickstarter projects discussion thread.

Post by matt »

I am really rooting for Dyscourse. The Owlchemy guys are personal friends and super talented game developers. I think in general, they are struggling with the general interest in next gen consoles in both the press and consumers. I know I've been anxiously following all the PS4/XBONE news stories.

Dyscourse did really well with their initial press coverage, so hopefully they can do some interviews or something to remind people about the kickstarter.

SpriteLamp is really interesting. The other projects look cool as well! Thanks for linking to them!

In other news, Scale and Obduction both met the funding at the end of their campaigns. Exciting!
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games
Harry Sunderland

Post by Harry Sunderland »

There are a series of great Free the Games fund candidates on Ouya that are close to getting funded.

http://www.freethegamesfund.com/

Check out:

Sentris (92% with 4 days left)
Super Roman Conquest (80% with 5 days left)

Additionally, these two projects have a very promising momentum:

Read Only Memories (31% funded with 25 days to go)
Dex (45% funded with 24 days to go)

I'm very sad to see Ghosts 'N Goblins - Demon World not have much luck. I'm sure Matt has had experience with the original (that difficult little bastard).

Also, I wish Bolt Riley was seeing more success. The graphics look great!
LobsterSundew

Post by LobsterSundew »

Kickstarter has a history of a lot of really generic fantasy RPG projects made with RPGMaker popping up. While it is being made with RPGMaker, LISA is not one of those forgetable generic fantasy RPGS. It is a bizarre tale about perverts and drugs in a wasteland without women. Earthbound fans should take a look.

I've been following both Dex and Super Roman Conquest closely to see how their rewards perform.

Something I'm also watching for is to see how the PS4 and Xbox One launching this month impacted the fundraising of projects. So far many gaming bloggers have been distracted by the new consoles making coverage harder to get, but I haven't see the plunge in growth rates for individual projects that I was expecting with the PS4 retail launch. There are still many projects I haven't fully graphed yet. I also didn't see a surge in projects with the PS4 as a main target platform trying to piggyback on PS4 hype. Educated PC gamers are seen as the biggest demographic in the Video Games category on Kickstarter, so maybe that could be why the slowdown hasn't been as large as expected.
LobsterSundew

Post by LobsterSundew »

A physics-based car combat game called Scraps looks fun.

Tiny Trek is a small space game with a very retro colour palette.

I didn't see big dips in the activity levels of projects for the day the Xbox One launched.

Dropsy is in its last 8 hours. It was recently picked up by the publisher of Hotline Miami that has announced it will assist with QA, marketing and localization.

It is rare that a publisher picks up a crowdfunded game because a lot of projects coming to Kickstarter weren't able to get publisher interest or wanted complete control of the development. Three projects that did get publishers in the past were DiveKick, Cloudberry Kingdom and Final Element.
matt

Post by matt »

I wouldn't be surprised if you see more and more publisher involvement in kickstarters. Several publishers approached us, but besides Ouya, we didn't find anyone that would be a good fit.

One of the great things about kickstarter is that we have full creative control and answer only to our backers. Ouya has been awesome to work with, and it's not a traditional publisher arrangement.

Deciding whether to publish a project is very challenging for publishers, so by jumping on a kickstarter, publishers can prove that there is interest in an idea before they sink any money into it, which is attractive. I find Square Enix's crowdfunding scheme interesting, but it seems like they are going about it the wrong way (only allowing crappy IP and using indiegogo).

However, I think they allow you to license Gex, which would be awesome for my plan to make a Super Smash Bros game with all the worst platformer mascots. I'll have to put a list here of who I want some day. haha
-Matt Gilgenbach
Harry Sunderland

matt wrote: However, I think they allow you to license Gex, which would be awesome for my plan to make a Super Smash Bros game with all the worst platformer mascots. I'll have to put a list here of who I want some day. haha
Matt,

A Smash Bros style game based on all the insane games from the Sega Saturn alone would be amazing. I'm picturing Gex, the Clockwork Knight, Kirk Cameron from "The Horde", the characters from Nights, etc...
matt

Post by matt »

YES! I really want to include Trevor McFur from the Jaguar game despite that he doesn't actually appear in the game. I am a big Bubsy fan too, so he has to be in the game. Speaking of Bubsy, did anyone play Bubsy Visits the James Turrell Retrospective? It is amazing. It really makes me want to go to LACMA and see the James Turrell retrospective.
-Matt Gilgenbach
Harry Sunderland

Bubsy's annoying one liners still ring in my head to this day.

"What could possibly go wrong?!!?"

"More like a bridge too short..."

"Diiiid...I mention I don't like heights?"

God, best inter-level transition screens ever!

What I'm trying to say, Matt, is that if you want to create this game after NN, I'm pretty sure the entire forum would fund you once more :D.
matt

Post by matt »

hahah, as much as I'd love to, I don't think I'd be able to work out the IP rights. I'm sure many of the companies have gone out of business, so it is difficult to figure out where the rights to the characters lie.

I think I'll stick to making horror games. :)
-Matt Gilgenbach
LobsterSundew

Post by LobsterSundew »

Festival of Magic is 3D RPG that looks very well crafted. There is a demo.

Not much else is exciting in the Kickstarter ecosystem. An update moved the campaign duration box from above the rewards to below the rewards. A lot of good quality campaigns look like they won't get funded.

While Playing With Fear didn't make it, it did get to 59%. It looks like a lot of its backers were in the second half of the campaign's length. It looks like it was just starting to build some good momentum and then ran out of time. A last 48 hours happening around Thanksgiving is not optimal. I noticed many other campaigns started to see drops in activity after November 26th. A single backer at the £3,250 tier was the biggest contributor to the campaign. Factoring out that backer leaves the campaign at only 46.4% funded. I noticed that my graph was not switched to British pounds. The £25 tier and the £50 tier performed very close with both contributing around £1,750 each. It feels like there was a big enough drop in popularity for the £75 tier that it may need to be fixed.
http://imgur.com/TiL8K6o

Dyscourse is also doing poorly. It needs more than $15,000 over the next 5 days which is possible, but it is ending on a Friday which can be very slow and it ends in December which is slow. It needs about 659 more backers. When looking at its graph remember that the plateaued $15 tier was an early-bird tier. The $100 to $300 tiers did not grow well, but that could be because it is having difficulty getting lasting momentum. It too is another campaign that shows that after November 26th there was a drop in new backers.
http://imgur.com/CdOmW9S