What games are you playing right now?

Discuss whatever you'd like with the Infinitap Games community here!
matt

Re: What games are you playing right now?

Post by matt »

I really want to play Siren because Chris Pruett of Chris' Survival Horror Quest says it's his favorite horror game, but he also said it's super hard, and I suck at games, so I am too scared to. I had to switch to playing Resident Evil 1 with an emulator because it was too hard for me, and I was using a walkthrough. haha
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games
Grabthehoopka

Post by Grabthehoopka »

matt wrote:I really want to play Siren because Chris Pruett of Chris' Survival Horror Quest says it's his favorite horror game, but he also said it's super hard, and I suck at games, so I am too scared to. I had to switch to playing Resident Evil 1 with an emulator because it was too hard for me, and I was using a walkthrough. haha
Admittedly, I don't know how far I am into the game, but so far, it's not horrifically hard. The controls aren't very good, but that's par for the course for survival horror. It's tough, but fair, and it actually has a couple fairly forgiving mechanics.

There's a rather brilliant puzzle/strategy element to it, in addition to the actual puzzles in the game, which are wonderfully down to earth, similar to the puzzles in The Walking Dead. Since the only way of detecting the enemies is by looking through their eyes, a lot of the time is spent just sitting there, watching them do their patrols. Sometimes they look at items of interest, so you have to look out for clues regarding the vague objectives they give you, but more importantly, often times there are multiple zombies in the same area and you have to switch between them to find the time window where none of them are looking at one spot, and then make a mad dash for it. It rewards patience and punishes recklessness. It's certainly unlike any other survival horror game I've ever played.

All in all, it's a more worthy Silent Hill sequel than all of the Silent Hills after 3.
matt

Post by matt »

Patience is not one of my strong suits. :)

Keiichiro Toyama directed Silent Hill before going on to direct Siren and Gravity Rush. Maybe I'll play Siren once they have a good PS2 emulator, and I can save states. I just finished Resident Evil that way. It helps me not get frustrated.

Also, I'd recommend against seeing the Japanese movie adaptation (called Forbidden Siren - it's name in Japan). It was not very good and seemed to have very little to do with what I know about the game.
-Matt Gilgenbach
RightClickSaveAs

Post by RightClickSaveAs »

I'm playing through the Penumbra games right now, I finished up Overture a while ago and now I'm slowly making my way through Black Plague.

Overture was much better than I expected. Having just played Outlast, it's not nearly as tense as it would have been if I'd played it when it first came out, but there's a good atmosphere to it. Also I kinda cheated by turning it to easy and just killing all the monsters I ran into, I don't have the patience for so much stealth. The levels get a bit dull in patches, especially the mining tunnels, but I breezed through those pretty quickly. It's also more of an adventure game than I realized, and I really liked the puzzles and exploration.

Black Plague is an improvement in every way, I'm really liking it so far. You can see them learning and working towards what would eventually become Amnesia: Dark Descent.
matt

Post by matt »

Awesome! That's good to know. I'm looking forward to playing them. I have been distracted by Zelda: A Link Between Worlds since I'm traveling. haha
-Matt Gilgenbach
RightClickSaveAs

Post by RightClickSaveAs »

The order to play them in is Overture then Black Plague, it doesn't make that very clear but the story carries straight over between the two. Also you can skip Requiem, it's supposed to be the 3rd chapter but it's not really important to the story and is just a bunch of rooms full of not very organic puzzles.
matt

Post by matt »

I'll keep that in mind. I've put them on hold for some Xbox One games. I beat Ryse, and I've been playing Forza and Dead Rising 3. I'm almost finished with Zelda, and I've been playing Super Mario 3D World with my wife, which is quite fun. It is a great time to be a gamer! :)
-Matt Gilgenbach
Harry Sunderland

Post by Harry Sunderland »

I'm considering making a resolution to buy no new games for 2014 because I have accrued such a sickening backlog from steam sales. However, the following games are on my radar:

- Papers, Please (started it last night and loved it)
- The Walking Dead
- Brothers
- Machine for Pigs
- Dishonored
- Black Mesa
- Spelunky
- way more.

It's getting to the point where I basically literally have a games library...and by library I mean a huge reference collection of things I haven't read and may never read but can access if I ever need research.

I wonder if I'll commit to this. Luckily I've "technically" already purchased NN, so that won't break the resolution.

Crap, except I know I'm going to want to buy MGS5...and Stick of Truth. OK, maybe I will allow myself to buy 5 games only for 2014.

:-\
matt

Post by matt »

Hahaha, I think it's going to be impossible for you to keep that. There is always something new and exciting coming out that distracts you from your queue. I still have an unplayed copy of the PS2 horror game "Rule of Rose" that I preordered and never played. hahahah

Someday, I'll get to it! Someday...
-Matt Gilgenbach
loverofbooks

Post by loverofbooks »

Harry Sunderland wrote:I'm considering making a resolution to buy no new games for 2014 because I have accrued such a sickening backlog from steam sales. However, the following games are on my radar:

- Papers, Please (started it last night and loved it)
- The Walking Dead
- Brothers
- Machine for Pigs
- Dishonored
- Black Mesa
- Spelunky
- way more.

It's getting to the point where I basically literally have a games library...and by library I mean a huge reference collection of things I haven't read and may never read but can access if I ever need research.

I wonder if I'll commit to this. Luckily I've "technically" already purchased NN, so that won't break the resolution.

Crap, except I know I'm going to want to buy MGS5...and Stick of Truth. OK, maybe I will allow myself to buy 5 games only for 2014.

:-\
Dishonored is a very good game if you like games where your decisions make a impact on the game world, just like the walking dead game. Also how is papers please? i was thinking about getting that game but i honestly don't know if that game could keep me interested in it.
One of these days your going to have to choose between what is easy and what is right. ~Unknown