Earthquakes and elevators

Have any scary nightmares? Share them with us!
haitechan

Earthquakes and elevators

Post by haitechan »

Another thing that scares me (not exactly a nightmare) are earthquakes.

Peru is a seismic country so earthquakes are often but no so in my city. But today there were TWO earthquakes at dawn today in Lima and I couldn't sleep again. I was getting asleep after the first one (2:30 am) when random second earthquake appeared at 5:00 am. We call here October the month of the earthquakes but wasn't expecting two. They were only on a scale 4 so no big damage here. Anyway the thing is that earthquakes terrify me, I remember one on 2007 that was godawful (scale 8) and I heard many things falling and getting broken and I thought I was going to get crushed. Thankfully things were ok in my city but the city that is 200km farther got nearly destroyed. It was awful.

Other thing that I had forgotten that scare me are elevators. It's a weird mix between claustrophobia/agoraphobia (which explains my fear of planes that I told earlier). I got trapped on an elevator once, with my newborn sister and my mom because of a blackout. We were between the second and third floor at the hospital. We had to get out by force but a few years later someone told my mom that was dangerous because the electricity could come back any moment and cut us down in half while climbing. So I'm bad with elevators now, I prefer taking the stairs if possible.

Now that I remember my childhood, we had terrorism, blackouts, food rationing, hyperinflation, car-bombs and the cholera outbreak. We as kids saw those things as normal but I wonder if they affected our generation in the long run.
matt

Re: Earthquakes and elevators

Post by matt »

Wow! That's crazy! You have had a lot of difficult things in your childhood. I know what you mean though. I struggled with signs of mental illness in my childhood, and they just seemed normal. Earthquakes and elevators definitely seem scary. I haven't been stuck in an elevator (fortunately), and we've only had a few minor tremors in Los Angeles although since I moved here 10 years ago, supposedly the "big one" has been right around the corner.
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games
miumiaou

Post by miumiaou »

there was an earthquake not long ago in my town (scale 3.9) it's very rare and on the moment I thought it was a storm (more frequent in my town since I live near the ocean) but I admit it was scary
matt

Post by matt »

It is scary when you think that while the ground is considered stationary, it can move so rapidly!
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games