Retro/Grade and its soundtrack are on sale!

General talk about Retro/Grade
Grabthehoopka

Re: Retro/Grade and its soundtrack are on sale!

Post by Grabthehoopka »

matt wrote:I am TRYING not to spend time on things that won't really affect sales. Our menus are definitely not going to be nearly cool in Neverending Nightmares.
Damn. I'm a sucker for aesthetics and neat UIs, and after the dev diary with The Dwindling Party I was thinking about how cool it would be if you fully embraced the visual inspiration and the menus were like a pop-up book. Can we still hope for something like...a picture book, or a series of framed pictures, or...I don't know, something like that? I feel like the look of this game is completely unique and that should ooze into every possible part of the game.

If you're concerned about sales, I think that the distinctive graphics and art style is the best "hook" the game has. I learned about this game on Gameinformer.com from this --> http://www.gameinformer.com/games/never ... paign.aspx article specifically. I read the article and followed the kickstarter link, and, needless to say, I made an account on kickstarter just so I could back it. Now, that's all well and good, but the truth of the matter is, I didn't know who you were or much of anything about Retro/Grade, and I didn't have any reason to as far as I could tell, so I wouldn't have read that article in the first place if that wonderfully gorgeous header image hadn't caught my eye (say thank you to Joe for me). So, in a weird way, I think you should follow the example that the fat cats in the game industry are doing and push graphics to the forefront. Although while they keep pushing and pushing for photorealism, your game looks like nothing else on the market, and I think that it's your best tool to catch the interest of unknowing future customers.
matt

Post by matt »

Can we still hope for something like...a picture book, or a series of framed pictures, or...I don't know, something like that? I feel like the look of this game is completely unique and that should ooze into every possible part of the game.
Well, you can hope for it, but I'm not sure we are going to have time to deliver. I'm going to put that off to last, and the way things are going, I don't think we'll have time...

While the graphics are super important, and we are working very hard to create an amazing looking game, I don't think people will be taking screenshots of our menus. :)
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games
mario

Post by mario »

It's time to bump this topic again since I've come to know via a project update that Retro/Grade is on sale again! Good news for Infinitap Games fans!
The Steam sale would be a good opportunity to try this game that seems really interesting and creative. I'd also like to play it but I'd prefer to buy it on the main Retro/Grade website. My opinion is similar to what was posted here earlier:
gagaplex wrote:Well, if the version on your website (the DRM-free one) also went on sale, I'd definitely buy it... even if the %-saved was lower. :?
Yeah, I'm... special in that regard.
RightClickSaveAs

Post by RightClickSaveAs »

Oh man the Steam winter sales are upon us aren't they? I gotta stop buying games, I still haven't played some from the Fall sale.

I will say everyone needs to buy Retro/Grade though. It is awesome. I'm terrible at rhythm games, which is one of the things that kept it off my radar before, but I've just been playing through the early levels on Beginner and chilling out, it's very relaxing. I've managed to get like rank 40-something on the Steam leaderboards for the first level!
matt

Post by matt »

Awesome! I'm so glad to hear you are enjoying it. :)
-Matt Gilgenbach
Hansson

Post by Hansson »

I too enjoyed playing Retro/Grade, and it is quite depressing to hear that it was anything but a financial success. The concept's are interesting and gameplay's addicting. I was kinda surprised when you mentioned that not many people played the Challenge missions, since to me they are the heart and soul of the game (and I'm just a single mission short of finishing them all, but it's just too difficult!), but it also explains why even my skills are sufficient for a position in top20.
matt

Post by matt »

I do agree that the challenge missions are the heart of the game. :-/ Oh well. We learned a lot from the development, and we still hope to get a few more users through some future promotions. *fingers crossed*
-Matt Gilgenbach