Ouya to Axe "Free-to-Try" Option...Will NN Take Advantage?

General chat about Neverending Nightmares open to everyone
Harry Sunderland

Ouya to Axe "Free-to-Try" Option...Will NN Take Advantage?

Post by Harry Sunderland »

Hey Matt/Fellow Nightmarelings (we should come up with a good actual name for fans of the game),

I saw that Ouya has axed the "free-to-try" requirement for games to be featured on it's marketplace. I have thus have two questions, one for Matt, and one for the community.

Matt: Do you plan on keeping in a free-to-try component for NN?

Everyone: Do you think NN would benefit from having a free-to-try portion? Would giving people a taste of Infinitap's disturbed mind hook people and improve sales, or would it satiate the frat boy crowd and convince them not to buy it?

Though to be honest, a very tiny portion of NN's sales will probably come from Ouya (unless Ouya everywhere explodes by the time the game is released)...so this question is really more theoretical than anything.

I'd love to hear everyone's responses!
matt

Re: Ouya to Axe "Free-to-Try" Option...Will NN Take Advantag

Post by matt »

I'd be interested in hearing what other people have to say, but I'd be happy to give my two cents.

Personally, I think that the game is better WITHOUT a demo. The beginning isn't a super good indication of what is to come (enemies don't appear until level 3), and the starting level isn't SUPER awesome. I've talked about this in a dev diary somewhere about the difficulty of making a good demo.

However, I'm not sure we can actually take advantage of this because we already have the game on the Ouya marketplace and an in game transaction for the playable portions. Anyway, I'm interested in what others have to say, but the whole thing is probably moot. haha
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games