6th sense

General chat about Neverending Nightmares open to everyone
sunsetbrew

6th sense

Post by sunsetbrew »

I loved 6th sense. I don't think I fell fond of it until the end. I love movies that take me on a ride and manage to fool me into an unexpected scenario.

However, since 6th sense, just as in since the Matrix, the trick has been replayed to exhaustion. I am just saying that I love entertainment that kicks my ass.

EOS
Harry Sunderland

Re: 6th sense

Post by Harry Sunderland »

You know, I think that the ending of Sixth Sense was such a shocker and so powerful, that I often talk myself out of re-watching the film "you know the ending, dummy!", but all in all it's just a really well-made film. It's really a shame that M. Night has become such sort of a cultural punchline for cinema, because I think, locked away from behind some of his more questionable choices, lies a modern day Hitchcock!
Grabthehoopka

Post by Grabthehoopka »

I understand him not wanting to be pigeonholed into one genre, but yeesh. I think he's one of those artists that can make masterful work, but you've got to keep a tight leash on him.

And I actually like The Village. It's far from perfect, and it could have been edited better, but when it's scary, holy hell is it scary. The cinematography and the timing of the scary scenes in the movie are perfect.

matt

Post by matt »

M. Night Shyamalan has done some really amazing films, but some amazingly terrible ones. Let me go through his filmography:
Praying with Anger - I've never even heard of this one.
Wide Awake - I haven't seen this one either. It looks like a comedy with Rosie O'Donnell. Not interested
Sixth Sense - Really awesome. Amazing twist.
Unbreakable - This is probably his second or third most popular film, but I didn't care for it. I saw it like 10 times though since I had to write a film paper about it, so maybe that sapped my enjoyment out of it.
Signs - While I wasn't nuts about the ending, I absolutely love the scene of the home video recording of some birthday party in Brazil or whatever, and the alien showed up. Holy crap. That was amazingly done and is one of the best jump scares in movie history I think.
The Village - I figured out the "twist" early on, but even still, I quite enjoyed the movie. I basically got so wrapped up in the story that I basically forgot about the ending and was just along for the ride.
Lady in the Water - Terrible. Absolutely terrible. I don't know what he was going for with this one, but it was garbage.
The Happening - I enjoyed parts of the movie. The premise was ridiculous, but I thought the suicides in the beginning were creepy. Otherwise, I think it is hard to be intimidated by trees. hahah
The Last Airbender - Absolute train wreck. Totally awful. I don't know how to convey how terrible it was, but it is worse than you can possibly imagine. hahah
After Earth - Also completely terrible.

So I have no idea what the reasons are, but it seems like whatever M. Night had, he lost... :-/
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games