230 - D4 - My Game of the Year

Developer diaries about creating Neverending Nightmares.
matt

230 - D4 - My Game of the Year

Post by matt »

Since all publications are doing their Game of the Year awards, I figured I'd do a developer diary talking about the game that I thought was best in 2014 - besides Neverending Nightmares of course. :-P

Also, I know I've been bad about developer diaries lately with the holiday break and everything, but hopefully, I'll be back on track moving forward. :)
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games
RightClickSaveAs

Re: 230 - D4 - My Game of the Year

Post by RightClickSaveAs »

D4 looks really intriguing. I'd love to check it out, but it looks like it's locked down as an XBox One exclusive, is there even the slightest chance of ports in the future do you think?

I didn't know anything about Swery until recently, but now I'm fascinated. It's really cool you got to meet him!

I picked up Deadly Premonitions during the Steam sale and I'm completely obsessed with it. It's a frustratingly bad PC port, but I'm into it enough that I got it running mostly stable at this point, with the help of all the troubleshooting and mods online.
matt

Re: 230 - D4 - My Game of the Year

Post by matt »

Since it is published by Microsoft Game Studios and was designed as a showcase for Kinect, it seems unlikely that they'd allow the port to come to PC, but who knows. They seem to be more open to that lately (Dead Rising 3 and Ryse), but in both of those cases, the developers owned the IP, which isn't usually the case with publishing contracts. I don't know if Access Games had the bargaining power to get the IP for D4, but who knows.

The tech for Deadly Premonition was really poor, so the framerates/graphics were really poor on PS3 and Xbox 360. It is a bummer that the PC port was sloppy because it seems like that would be the best version. (Sometimes the PS3 framerate was so bad it hurt my eyes...)

It is also possible that Microsoft might make another push for PC games with Windows 10. Hopefully they won't half ass it like Games for WIndows Live, but I suspect if they were going that way, they probably wouldn't release it on Steam. Although who knows! This are changing at Microsoft with their push to support iOS and Android, so maybe they aren't trying to control the platforms.
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games