155 - Selling Games

Developer diaries about creating Neverending Nightmares.
matt

155 - Selling Games

Post by matt »

In this video, I talk about different ways to sell your games through different marketplaces, sales, etc.

-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games
RightClickSaveAs

Re: 155 - Selling Games

Post by RightClickSaveAs »

Did you watch the latest Double Fine documentary episode where they talk about Broken Age launch sales and preorders and a bunch of other really interesting stuff? One thing I noticed was their initial sales weren't that large because hundreds of thousands of backers already had the game since beta, which was a position they weren't too used to dealing with. They didn't officially do a Steam Early Access, but the game went out to a bunch of people before the official launch of Act I, which put them in a weird position for launch day sales.

I think word of mouth should be pretty big for Neverending Nightmares too. There are really only a handful of good horror games out there now, so the horror fans like myself should hear about it pretty quickly. I've got a couple big online communities where I'll be doing my part to push it hard once launch day starts approaching.
matt

Post by matt »

I did not. I probably should, but I think I only watched the first one and then decided I would wait for fear of spoilers! Speaking of, wasn't Broken Age Part 2 supposed to come out in July? I can't wait!

While I do think that kickstarter can adversely affect your launch sales (because people have already purchased it), we didn't do HUGE numbers like Broken Age, so that's only 3,608 sales we are missing out on. Double Fine sold 87,000 which is probably a significant chunk of their potential audience.

I definitely think word of mouth will help us. I suspect that each of the backers playing the game early can get us one sale at launch. For Double Fine, pretty much everyone knew about the kickstarter, so word of mouth isn't going to be as helpful to them.

Also, thank you so much for volunteering to help spread the word about the game! I have the best backers ever. :)
-Matt Gilgenbach
RightClickSaveAs

Post by RightClickSaveAs »

Oh crap, I was way off on the number of Double Fine backers. For some reason the number "400,000" was in my head, I think because that was the initial Kickstarter goal. Yeah I think with their Kickstarter, most of the adventure game fans heard about it and backed it from the start, so they already had the bulk of their day one sales and preorders. With Neverending Nightmares, I bet there's a much bigger opportunity on launch to capture the attention of people who don't know about the game yet.

I haven't heard any news about the second act of Broken Age, I hope it's July! The documentary episodes that have been released so far are all just Act I spoilers.
matt

Post by matt »

If I get some time, I'll have to watch all of those. I only watched the first one, and it was really good, so I definitely want to see them. I just have so little time!
-Matt Gilgenbach