Research and Learn From Other Games

Post your suggestions for the development team here.
miumiaou

Re: Research and Learn From Other Games

Post by miumiaou »

there's a moment like that in Corpse Party: blood covered too, (spoiler/) you think you return in the safe world you know and then yuki show herself and you see the memory of when she was killed in the same eyes as her (yes when she was stabbed in the eyes until they became soup like), it's totally disturbing and you surely don't feel safe after that
RightClickSaveAs

Post by RightClickSaveAs »

gagaplex wrote: Of course, being the jerk that I am, I would use that opportunity to - after having used that safety blanket perfectly fine a few times - mess up that "safe zone" on one of their return trips and make it horrendous, too, to add a "progression" of horror to it (until they find the next hub/safe zone). Not having finished Amnesia yet, I couldn't say whether they actually did that or not, though. It's just what I think I would've done with it in their situation!
One of the things that Silent Hill 4 did really well, even though the game itself didn't stack up well against all the others, was to play with this throughout the game, in this case the character's apartment was the supposed safe place that you could let your guard down in. Until...

The apartment environment was the best part of that game, I don't remember much about the rest but that was done really well.
matt

Post by matt »

Silent Hill 4 has some brilliant ideas but the execution was definitely flawed - especially the fact that the enemies have infinite health. The first person sequences in the Room were pretty awesome although "defending it" to get the good ending was a real pain in the butt.

Still, I'm glad I played it. Maybe I'll do a developer diary talking about what they did, and what I learned from it.
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games
Grabthehoopka

Post by Grabthehoopka »

I just watched a movie with my mom that got me thinking...

There's almost nothing that puts on edge in a game more than water monsters. Jaws and the lingering effects on me might have something to do with it, but any time a game has a part where they want me to swim, and there are things that would do me harm in the water, I'm absolutely terrified. The sharks in Tomb Raider 2, the angler fishes in Serious Sam, coming face-to-face with that giant mechanical shark in Banjo-Kazooie, the sharks and crocodiles in Far Cry 3, the giant eel from Mario 64, the sharks in the Resident Evil remake...a lot of sharks come to mind...but even the suggestion of something in the water, like that shark-faced thing behind bars at the bottom of that scientist's water tank in Ocarina of Time, or the giant squid from that one Assassin's Creed game...hhhghhh, I hate the thought of water monsters.

So then I thought...why aren't there any horror games centering around water monsters? The only one I can think of is Resident Evil 1, with the sharks (and I thought they were put to much more effective use in the remake), but that's just one part of one game. I know for a fact that I'm not the only one who's terrified of water monsters in games, so...why has nobody tried to capitalize on it?
matt

Post by matt »

I love shark movies. I particularly enjoyed Open Water and this Australian shark movie that took place in a mall.

I was tossing around the idea of making a horror game in a submarine. You can have water monsters combined with a very terrifying claustrophobic environment. One small leak, and you could all drown! The idea is still a work in progress though. haha
-Matt Gilgenbach
Grabthehoopka

Post by Grabthehoopka »

Dino Crisis comes to mind when I think of traditional survival horror game + sharks, even though I didn't care for Dino Crisis very much. If I had to pick an old style of game to model it after, I'd probably go with Tomb Raider. The PS1 Tomb Raider games did a magnificent job of making me afraid of going in the water.

As for a setting, I was thinking that if you wanted to make a traditional survival horror game with water monsters, you'd have to go with some silly, high-concept setting like Deep Blue Sea. So let's see here-

Underwater research lab? Check.
Science gone wrong? Check.
Keycards? Check.
Puzzles involving raising/lowering water levels,
and/or using crates to make floating platforms,
and/or mixing chemicals in a lab to make poison/acid,
and/or turning off the electricity to traverse some water safely? Check, check, check and check.

IT HITS ALL OF THE CLICHES! ALL OF THEM! WHY HAS NOBODY DONE THIS BEFORE!?
matt

Post by matt »

hahaha! That would be amazing!
-Matt Gilgenbach