Ouya Launches "All You Can Eat" Game Pass

Discuss whatever you'd like with the Infinitap Games community here!
Harry Sunderland

Ouya Launches "All You Can Eat" Game Pass

Post by Harry Sunderland »

http://shop.ouya.tv/products/all-access-1

So for a limited time only, you can purchase a $60 pass for a year and play any Ouya game you want. The good news is Developers still get their 70% cut.

Since Neverending Nightmares is one of the flagship titles of Ouya's "Free the Games Fund", I wanted to hear everyone's opinion of this pass. I think that not a lot of people actually own an Ouya, but could this totally innovate the way Indie games are marketed? Could this put Ouya on the map? I think if so, Matt would certainly benefit, as NN would certainly be a must buy title.
matt

Re: Ouya Launches "All You Can Eat" Game Pass

Post by matt »

I think it is a bold business move, and I would suspect it's more testing the waters to see what sort of market there is for a subscription service. Before the PS4, PS Plus only got you free games with the subscription and cloud saves... (Network play was free on PS3) I think quite a few people purchased it. Ouya is a weird market where I think a lot of people don't buy games and are probably more hobbyists and people who like free stuff.

Ouya is really great company and really want to create a great market for indies, so I am happy to hear that they are experimenting and trying new things. Also, the fact that Google isn't making their own Android TV hardware means that Ouya can probably get more platforms for Ouya Everywhere than otherwise since I'm sure google wants their sales to go through the Play Store.
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games
ranger_lennier

Post by ranger_lennier »

Looks like it's already sold out. Of course I don't actually have an Ouya, but I was interested in learning about it. What does it mean for developers to get a 70% cut in this case? Are the revenues split between all developers, split based upon how many people downloaded each game, split based upon how much time people spent playing each game, split some other way I haven't thought of yet?
Harry Sunderland

Ouya is a store front where you can buy games, and normally I'd pay $15 for Matts game. Matt gets 70% of that and ouya gets 30%.

With the pass, I now pay $60 and can download games and pay $0, but Matt still gets 70% of $15.

Ouya gives up their 30% bc I subscribed, but they still pay Matt for each "sale"
ranger_lennier

Post by ranger_lennier »

But what keeps Ouya's costs from exceeding $60? It would only take six $15 games. Or is that why the passes were so limited?
Harry Sunderland

I think it's in the testing phase now. I'm not sure if $60 is their final price point or if a 70% split is the final portion devs receive.

I'm sad I didn't go for it when I had the chance.
matt

Post by matt »

Ouya is going to lose money on it because people will download more than 4 games. However, knowledge is worth a lot, so I think they are trying to figure out what the audience might be, how many games people download using this service, whether they just download the hits or they download EVERYTHING.

Based on that knowledge, I think they can try and tailor a subscription service that people can get excited about. That's my take on it, but I think it's a good thing for Ouya developers. If they sold 1000 subscriptions, and I can get all of them to download Neverending Nightmares once we drop to $25, we could make $17,500. :) I doubt the numbers will be that high, but that would be really cool. :-D
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games