Retro/Grade $0.99 on PSN THIS WEEKEND ONLY!

General talk about Retro/Grade
matt

Re: Retro/Grade $0.99 on PSN THIS WEEKEND ONLY!

Post by matt »

Thanks for posting this. I forgot to put it on the forums. :)
-Matt Gilgenbach
Lead Frightener at Infinitap Games
Grabthehoopka

Post by Grabthehoopka »

Played it on PC, of course, with the humble bundle (I'm a cheap bastard, I'm sorry. But, you got more of my money through NN, so I don't feel as bad).

Working my way through x-treme difficulty, and some of the more bullet hell-ish stages can get downright sadistic. But, thanks to this project and forum, I now know whose name to curse to the high heavens when I get frustrated. You can cross "have a stranger shout your name while shaking their fist angrily like an 80's cartoon villain" off your bucket list, by the way. And you thought that'd be one of the more difficult ones to check off!

But anyways, the game looks fantastic (it has shadows and motion blur and everything!) but for some reason, my soundbar doesn't like it. I have a vizio soundbar with a kickass subwoofer that for some stupid reason doesn't have an HDMI jack, so it's connected with an optical audio cable, and the audio peaks like crazy and sounds like it's breaking the speakers when I play it. I've tried turning the in-game audio down and the speaker volume up, I've tried connecting with different types of cables, I've tried messing with the bass/treble, but nothing seems to help. When I use the TV speakers it sounds fine, but there's an ordinarily unnoticeable split second delay between the video and audio that makes it impossible to play. I know this might fall out of your area of expertise, but do you have any recommendations?
matt

Post by matt »

I think that was the last item on my bucket list, so I can now die a happy man. :-P

Well, we do have a calibration that allows you to specify separate audio and video delays, so you could work out the timing on your TV speakers.

As to why it doesn't work, I'm not sure. :( We don't really have a proper surround sound mix... Is it only the subwoofer that has issue? I'm not sure what I'm outputting to it, but it might be the full audio track, so it might cause issues if the sound bar doesn't do a low pass filter on the subwoofer. I assumed everything did, but that might explain why it sounds bad on your sound bar. I'm not overly confident that is the REAL reason, but that's the best guess I can think of. If that's the case, I don't know what the best solution would be. I guess you could try disconnecting the subwoofer and see if that helps? :-/

Sorry for the trouble! :(
-Matt Gilgenbach
Grabthehoopka

Post by Grabthehoopka »

Actually, I feel really stupid. Tried it again and realized what I was hearing in the options menu was effects, not music. So, I turned the music and FX volume way down and the speaker volume up, and it's running perfectly fine. Still don't know exactly what the problem is, but thanks for the tech support, anyhow!
matt

Post by matt »

Huh, that's strange. Well, as long as it works! ;)
-Matt Gilgenbach